St. Paul’s School was built in 1931 and opened in 1932 on Double Day Street in Binghamton. The Sisters of St. Joseph’s and Priests were the main faculty of the Kindergarten – 12th grade school, although the school did not have kindergarten until the early 1940’s. The Sisters lived next door in the convent, and were mainly paid through collections from Masses at the church. Reverend Bustin was the pastor when the school first opened. Throughout the years, a sister was always a principal.
Each class had approximately 25 students in it. The school had three floors – a basement, first floor, and second floor. The gymnasium was located in the basement, and had the mascot (the golden eagle) on the wall. Basketball was a popular sport at the school, and many games were played in the gymnasium. Latin club, French club, and student government were a few of the popular clubs at the time.
There were approximately 18 classrooms, including the office. The auditorium was staged at an angle, with every seat being able to see the stage. The stage had collapsible folding doors, which were used especially when the business department used the stage as a classroom. Tuition at the time was $25 a year for parishioner students in any grade. Students had to purchase their own books, but were able to buy books from the class above them for about 5 or 10 cents apiece. If a student could not afford books, the school would help assist them. The tuition money was used for school expenses.
For Mass, students would go over to the church because there was no chapel in the school. The church was built in 1902 on Chenango St. and is still active today. The school was located next to the playground and rectory and Masses were held for special feast and holy days, and there was also monthly confession for each grade. Graduation ceremonies were also held in the church.
In 1963, the High School of St. Paul’s closed down, and the students combined with St. Patrick’s to become Catholic Central High School in Binghamton. The school closed because the administration wanted to broaden the students’ education, especially in the areas of science and languages. Catholic Central also had more activities, especially sports like baseball and basketball, for students. Many of the Sisters moved from St. Paul’s to Catholic Central.
After the High School portion of St. Paul’s was shut down, the Elementary and Middle School stayed open until 1972. Once the remaining school was closed, the building stood until it was razed in the later 1970’s. The Church and rectory are still up and running today.